Three Rip Off mobile's attitude to mobile broadband

| | Comments (21) | TrackBacks (2)

I had my sixth telephone conversation wtih Three customer services (never the same person twice) today regarding the issue that they charge me for email eventhough I pay for a 100MB broadband package for my mobile phone. (This was filed with Comreg on 28/2/08 and logged with three as a formal complaint)

Their position is:
1 - They will not make available online the exact terms and conditions of their Mobile broadband 100 product.

2- They charge for email regardless even though they have sold me a mobile broadband package and refuse to define what ports mobilebroadband uses.

3 - They have listed on their website the charges for email therefore they are entitiled to charge me eventhough I have a broadband package. They refuse to recognise or acknowledge the fact that I have purchased 100MB data download per month when calculating email billing (which uses the internet protocol IMAP)

Comreg have been contacted and the case has been escalated Three now have 7 working days to resolve this. But they told be today they wouldn't.

Any one any ideas?

2 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Three Rip Off mobile's attitude to mobile broadband.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://www.irishsilicon.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/1050

» Three Usb Modem from Three Usb Modem

Quite funny this came up, i work in a 3. You're here: Read More

» Three Usb Modem from Three Usb Modem

Quite funny this came up, i work in a 3. You're here: Articl Read More

21 Comments

Ciaran Lee said:

Hi,

It's disgraceful that they call it broadband, then charge you extra for using the IMAP protocol.

I wish you the best of luck with this, maybe comreg will actually do something... although I wouldn't hold my breath.

Anthony said:

Bloody hell. If you didn't sign the dotted line about their terms and conditions then I don't see how you're liable. Stick with it, don't let them bully you! Small claims court might be in order even.

Tommy said:

And so you told the national consumer agency about this unfair contract whbere the T&Cs are not discolosed and they did precisely what for you ???

liam noonan said:

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the reminder to contact the national consumer agency. They recommended I send Three a letter via registered post to demand the T&C's for mobile broadband 100 package. They also recommend recommend the small claims court as mentioned above by Anthony.

Liam

Julie said:

Nothing good to suggest but just want to commiserate. 3 have the WORST customer service ever, there isn't enough time in the world to go through all my nightmares. However I am very happy with the service they provide other than that, I surf many times a day on gmail and facebook and never go over my 5MB add on. Despite their nightmarish customer service I couldn't contemplate going back to any of the others (and I've been with them all!)

Liam said:

Hi Julie,

Three's pricing is competitive but their customer service is very poor. Every one competes on the headline prices but seem to gouge the customer using practices as described in the article above. At this stage it is a matter of principle, Telco's have to realise that their product must provide the service it alleges to provide. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg in many respects.

Liam

Bluefrog said:

Three are riding Irish consumers on the back of the toothlessness of the regulatory bodies such as COMREG and the Office of Consumer Affairs. They were let sell their USB modem package and describe it as mobile broadband when it didn't even support basic protocols like SMTP.

COMREG have told me they have no jurisdiction over broadband despite the fact that many would choose their mobile provider on the basis of the data addons they can get.

THe NCA made some noises during the summer collecting customers' experiences but it never went any further.

From what I've read they don't normally contest cases in the Small Claims Court.

In September 2007 after a summer of unreliable service I wrote to Robert Finnegan asking about the ports situation and in his response he asserted that there was NO port blocking which was patently untrue.

In recent weeks I've seen reports from 3Pay broadband users that many more internet applications are working on the service which was the case before the infamous August 'upgrade' but not after it.

Rather than sorting their technical issues they have contacted forums like boards.ie trying to silence dissatisfied customers and to a large extent succeeding.

Until regulations backed up by realistic legislation is put in place companies like 3 will continue to put customers second.

Liam said:

Hi Bullfrog,

Don't get me started about the other ports. I am unable to use the jaiku mobile app as they block the ports.

I was unaware of the SMTP issue but it does not surprise me, IMAPS is another protocol that they don't support.

The issue really has to be pushed regarding description of goods. If it is described as broadband it means port 0 - 65535 (2 to the power of 16)

Liam

Daragh said:

I use 3 broadband (not for much longer, going to switch as soon as I get some free time) and their customer service has always left me frustrated.

Whenever I've called I've got through to a call centre in Scotland. This would be fine, if they were actually able to deal with queries properly. But the customer service agents I've spoken to didn't have a clue about the simplest of technical issues.

Also their flat denial of any problems with the speed of the service totally removed any trust that was there.

Won't be recommending them to anyone soon.

rob jones said:

can someone please take these guys down. I've been rippod off several ways by 3G. They have extremely poor and uncoordinated service. They mis sell products and packages to the public. They don't convey T&C's at time of purchase.

How can I get out of my contract without affecting my credit.....it is absolutely ludicrous that we should be tied into rip off merchants for the sake of good credit for future purchases with reliable companies.....

Who is going to take a stand on this? Our governement hasn't....sure how would their paychecks be signed..... agghhh

3G RIP OFF, 3G Scam, 3G WASTE OF MONEY, 3G POOR SERVICE, 3G UNETHICAL COMPANY!

rob jones said:

3G RIP OFF, 3G Scam, 3G WASTE OF MONEY, 3G POOR SERVICE, 3G UNETHICAL COMPANY!

Shane Fitzgerald-Gale said:

My God, I have never come across a more despicable company in all my life. It has taken me more than 2 months and several blazing rows with several departments at 3 mobile broadband's call centers to cancel my account. It's strikes me as strange that they are always unable to find my account details when I wish to speak to them, but have managed to locate the details several times a day, every day when their collections department wishes to harass me. They suspended my connection when one of their operators incorrectly informed me that my phone payment had gone through when in fact it hadn't. When I did finally manage to cancel my account they wanted 3 months payment even though I hadn't been connected for a month and a half. It's a long and convoluted story. Suffice to say, if anyone is able to kill this company stone dead, they'll be doing us all a favour.

suzy.l said:

I hate 3
I hate their rubbish customer service team who always take up to 10 minutes to understand exactly what you are asking for !!!!!!
I HATE THEIR RUBBISH MOBILE BROADBAND - AFTER HAVING THE SERVICE FOR OVER 12 MONTHS NOW ( AND NEVER USED MY DATA ALLOWANCE) THIS MONTH I DID - YESTERDAY ALONE I WAS CHARGED £20.00 FOR MY ADDITIONAL USAGE - i called the customer service team and after the 10 minutes it took for the operator to understand the question (he kept going on about a mobile contract phone which i used to have with 3) he tells me that NO it is not possible to top up my allowance - you can when it is a pay as you go - but not on a monthly contract - what a total rip off - useless - stupid - money grabbing - unhelpful- etc
I hate 3

Voodoo said:

Avoid using 3 at all costs! I went online tonight after my new data monthly allowance was shown in the My3 website, almost instantly I received a message saying I had gone over by £16. I've sent them an e-mail, but I know I'll never see that money again, currently my overspend limit is rising and my data allowance is not going down. But they'll deny it and charge me (this is not the first time) and who can we turn to for help? (and by help I mean an organization that can actually do more than collate reports with which they do nothing) Nobody!

Ripped off said:

Ive brought the 3 gig mobile USB upgrades and have had the same issue twice now, currently I've used 1.79 Gig of 3 gig allocation and Im already Ive received SMS messages saying ive only got 235 mbs left and have to update my balance...
anyone else have the same problem ?I reckon you dont actually get 3 gig !!!
my last one ran out at just over 2 gig too!
signed proper bo pissed off!
Dont sign up to these rip off merchants ,if you go one megabyte over allocation their charges become astronomical per megabyte ,,and they rinse your credit card !!!!
AVOID LIKE THE SWINE FLU

lonewolfa1 said:

3 mobile broadband rip off see this proof have fun

google this underneath
3 to release customers over poor 3g coverage

its on zednet

liam noonan said:

Thanks for the info,

It is interesting to read in the article that 3 have a very narrow definition on mobile broadband to suit their service's abilities.

Liam

Emma Peters said:

Their moblile broadband top-up scheme is a blatant ripoff.

Top up by €30 to avail of their €25 monthly 10GB broadband offering? That should leave you with €5 credit, right? Then why does my remaining credit come up as €4.98? Oh I get it, I have to go and top up by €30 again, instead of €20 the next time round to get me up to the €25. Then I'll have €9.96 worth of credit.

Absolute ripoff merchants.

Sarah Duffy said:

I Send an Email as follow to the 3g supprot team,

I purchased a 3Pay Broadband modem on the 10/03/2010 to which I also bought in the store a 30 euro IEVouch3pey, so far I have only download some files no more than 4GB and my internet service is gone, so I’m am left to spend another 30 euro to reconnect to the internet, so my first question is why does it state on the website 10GB up and download allowance when really its only less then 4GB up and downloadallowance, and my second question is I topped up for a month and only received 16 days of suffering the internet, why is this, I would like to receive the answers to my 2 question please before I take this matter future,

As reading from the comments left, its not only those who singed a contract with them who's being ripped off,

one thing i did learn that 3Ireland do is that every time you connect to the internet with your modem, you lose 35KB of your download allowance, Also if you download a video file which i did from youtube which was 49MB in size, 201 MB went missing from my allowance,

So the truth of the matter is to get the full 10GB download allowance a month you would have to spend 90 euro a month to do so,

The only thing that people can do who are writing in on this fourm in relation to putting an end to there scams would be to report your issues to RTE or TV3 News, so that way the general public would become full aware of the scams 3Ireland do on both the pay monthly and 3Pay Broadband service they provide,

I myself have being under contracts with every broadband service in dublin and i tought that clearwire was one of the worst serives i was with, well thats till i bought the 3Pay Broadband,

Pat said:

I Purchased 3 Mobile Broadband in early December 09, Worked great for 3 weeks up to Christmas. After Christmas and for the entire month of January it continually disconnected when surfing the net. I phoned 3 several times during that period but the problem persisted (One of their support team even told me that my computer was the problem). Got in contact with Consumer affairs who advised me if the service was not fit for purpose I should cancel my account which I did and they also told me because I had signed the contract in a 3 shop to send them a registered post letter outlining the reason I was cancelling. The shop rang me up a few days later and told me that they were not responsible but they had faxed my letter to 3. Then a week later and up to recently I continued to get phone calls from 3 looking for the outstanding balance they alleged I owed them for the minimal 12 month contract. I explained to them the reasons by phone and email but they did not want to hear. I got on to consumer affairs again who refered me to comreg (who specialise in telecomunication issues)They also contacted 3 on my behalf but to no avail. Comreg washed their hands of the matter and I continued getting letters and phone calls from 3 threatening me with debt collector agents and said it would involve legal costs which would be added to the balance I owed them.

I finally bowed to the pressure and harrasment and paid the money.But I will be taking the case to the small claims court to get a full refund. I think Conumer affairs is a Joke in Ireland especially Comreg and there is no regulation what so ever. Its about time RTE did a documentary on 3 and exploited ther bullying tactics and poor services.

liam noonan said:

Hi Pat,

I sympathise with your plight. I think the small claims court is the best way to go. I have sent Three mobile registered letters to their Dublin address and they have never answered.

The small claims court will force someone from Three to attend and explain their practices to a judge.

I agree about the RTE consumer type documentary should be made to investigate their practices.

Regards